Skytek’s space achievements were noted by the Minister of State for Training, Skills, Innovation and Research & Development, John Halligan during the launch of the National Space Strategy for Enterprise 2019-2025 in Dublin.
The strategy will support Ireland’s expanding space-active industry and research institutes, which work across a range of technological domains and develop technology with both space and non-space applications.
Minister Halligan said: “Space-active Irish companies have become increasingly successful within European Space Agency and EU programmes in recent years. As the space economy continues to evolve at an unprecedented rate, there is a growing opportunity for Irish companies to participate. This strategy puts into place a framework for a greater Irish involvement, and enhanced success at a global level.”
The Minister added:“The national space strategy also significantly supports the aims of the Future Jobs Ireland framework, embracing innovation and technological change and supporting the development of quality jobs that will be resilient into the future.”
“The skills and capabilities necessary to develop space technology are often transferable between the space sector and other high value sectors such as automotive, environmental protection, agriculture, maritime and human medicine.
The strategy sets out six goals to achieve by 2025:
- Double the space related revenue and employment in space-active Irish companies
- Support 100 companies to benefit from ESA engagement
- Double the value of contracts won through the EU Horizon programmes in space-related activities
- Increase industry, public and international awareness of space and Ireland’s activities in space
- Develop and attracting talent for space-active and related industries
- Develop a sustainable Earth Observation services sector based on advanced data analytics capability
For more details on the National Space Strategy for Enterprise, the full document is here
A video overview of the National Space Strategy for Enterprise can be found here